Sunday, September 30, 2007

Corset fitting, number one

So I have the pattern drafted, decided against the sweetheart neckline and went with a more traditional cut.
Got the inner layer together today (I'm lazy, and I know my sewing errors. Yes, mockups are important, but when you always err to the side of too big they're not as important, so using one of your real fabrics just saves time and cash.)

Sewed the front up (although that'll come out, I'm doing a busk), added a bone to the front and each side, and lacing panels recycled off an old corset that has long since given up the ghost.
Rather bumpy and lumpy due to having, well, three 1/2" flats that are all too short and nothing else for structure, but otherwise I'm pleased. The length on the sides is just where I wanted it, and the waist falls perfectly.

Need to take in the front a bit around the belly area (a big shock there, but a few people told me I looked like I lost weight, I guess so), and I think I'll bring the sides in about a half inch on either side.

Part of my problem is that I underestimated how much I can lace down. I'd been thinking my favorite corset which is a tad too small for me now is a 32". A quick check once I'd wiggled out of this thing wondering why the lacing closed so easily revealed it's actually a 30" waist. And one I have that I can easily close is a 34". So yay. I'm still a lardbutt, but less so than I realized.

Construction details:
1890s pattern from little corset book
inner layer- poly/cotton non-stretch heavyweight twill
Outer layer and lining will be 100% cotton. Black liner, black outer, front panels and back panel by lacing in Alexander Henry Tattoo (black)

Eyelets will be either black or silver, haven't decided yet. I've got both, and I'll see how they both look against my print. I'm thinking black. Shame no one makes black powdercoated busks.

(oh, ignore the wonky red stitch in the front... the red so I can pick it out easier, and the wonky because I didn't bother to press the seam, so it changes the direction it falls in halfway down.)

No comments: