Friday, September 28, 2007

money, money, money

So, not too long ago a friend asked me why I don't just quit my day job and sew full time.
Well, this is why.
See, I work in the magical world of IT sales. No, we don't have a pet unicorn (yet). But we do have people from all sorts of companies, everyone from the lowliest manufacturer of mouse pads to the most powerful manufacturer of, oh, I don't know, let's say operating systems wandering through all day. And they all want us to like them. And to sell their products. And to reward us when we do so we are inclined to sell them again.

So, thanks to various companies, I have been shopping over the last few weeks.

Finally got myself a copy of Corsets and Crinolines by Nora Waugh, something I've been wanting since the a.g.f. days, but couldn't justify due to it's $54 (for a paperback! seriously!) cover price.
So, thank you unnamed maker of networking gear for the home for the Borders gift cards, which coincided nicely with a sale. I suspect it won't contain anything I don't already have in a multitude of other sources, but having all the info one could ever need in a single text is beyond useful.

A kind maker of bags in which one can carry their laptop has managed to help me procure a couple yards of Alexander Henry Tattoo in black.

I've picked up a few of the Simplicity corset patterns on ebay (thank you, RAM manufacturer!). I like to have patterns on hand, if only to refrence, or for when I feel like doing something fast. I was going to go with Laughing Moon, until I saw a comparison on Farthingales site. The same person, on the same day, laced into four corsets made to the same measurements. Both the Laughing Moon, and both the Simplicity ones. (yes, Simplicity makes three, technically. But two are the same, one comes with a chemise in the pattern, the other with a hoop skirt. Comparing the line drawings, the fabric and notion requirements, and the measurements, I've determined there's no way the patterns differ in any significant way.). I think the waist reduction on the Simplicity ones is far more impressive, particularly when comparing the two gored corsets. In fact, I really prefer the overall line of the Simplicity- it's much more of a "corseted" look, less of a "bodice." Looking at the Dore, well, I couldn't even get into my Scarlet O'Hara costume with that under- she doesn't seem to have more than a minimal reduction. I can typically lace down 4" or more easily and six or seven if I'm feeling masochistic.

Can you see where this is going? :)

Also placed the first of what will be several orders over the next few weeks with Corsetmaking.com for preliminary supplies.

So hopefully I'll be done with the mockup by Saturday, or at least done enough to know what size bones to order. And hopefully I'll get them by Wednesday or so next week so I can actually, like, make this thing and have it for rockabilly night.

Oh, next paycheck I'm getting a camera. So I can get pics of this thing.

Also, will be making a zebra-stripe overbust with neon green bone casings for a friend in the next few weeks. Which I am SO FREAKING EXCITED about.

No comments: